Starting and running an online store – Open Source or SaaS
In the “Start and Run Successful Web Store” series, last week’s question was “What do you want to sell in your webshop?”. As soon as you figured this out, there is of course another step to be taken to make your webshop successful!
The next step: which webshop platform do you choose? There are many possibilities and numerous providers. Before looking at a specific company, it’s important to make a basic choice. Do you want to use Open Source webshop software or choose a SaaS platform to create and manage your webshop? Of
course, that choice can only be made if you have an idea of the differences with the corresponding pros and cons. In this post we will enter this.
The comparison: Open Source versus SaaS
Open Source means that the source code is publicly accessible and can be modified without limitation by programmers.
Examples of Open Source platforms are Magento, PrestaShop and WordPress / WooCommerce.
- Because the source code can be fully customized, you can build the webshop exactly the way you want
- You can often use thousands of different templates and links developed by other
- Throughout the world, programmers are constantly working on developing new features that you can use!
- You have full ownership of the
- If you can’t program yourself you will spend a substantial amount of money to get one developed. Of course, the cost depends on your wishes, but you should easily count on € 3,500
- Updates can cost a lot of time and money as used plugins and design templates are often incompatible with the latest
- If technical problems arise with the webshop, there is no customer service department that solves them. You are dependent on programmers paid by the hour to fix your problems.
SaaS stands for Software as a Service. The source code is managed by one party and you can rent a webshop for a certain amount of money. Examples of SaaS webshop platforms are Shopify, Lightspeed,
- You do not need technical knowledge to start a
- No start-up capital is needed to build the webshop as the webshop is rented on a monthly
- You have a customer service and technical support team available in case of technical
- Updates are managed by the company that manages the software.
- You are limited to the possibilities offered by the SaaS platform and do not have full freedom in design and development of links
Are you technically able to do some basic coding yourself and/or is start-up capital not a problem? Are you looking for complete freedom in developing and using links? Open Source gives you this freedom!
If you can’t program yourself and if you want a solution to start fast an easy without high entry cost? Choose for one of the various SaaS providers.
In the next post we engage in different marketing opportunities to make sure you get visitors!